back to top
HomeBANKINGHow Much Coverage Do I Need For Homeowners Insurance?

How Much Coverage Do I Need For Homeowners Insurance?


Homeownership is most likely the biggest investment you’ll make throughout your life It makes sense to secure it. That’s why many homeowners choose to purchase home insurance.

The coverage amount a homeowner needs depends on many factors. Among them are location, credit score, and deductible options.

Dwelling Coverage

Dwelling coverage is one of the most important parts of your home insurance policy. This coverage will help you repair or rebuild your home as well as any connected structures following an insured loss.

What you will need to cover your home is contingent on the kind of house you own and the age of your home. For example, builder-grade homes usually require less dwelling coverage than custom-built or upgraded homes with high-end finishes.

A replacement cost calculator can help you determine this figure. It should be the amount it would take to rebuild your home (not its current market value) if it was completely destroyed by a covered peril, experts say.

Dwelling coverage also includes protection for your personal property, including everything from your clothing to electronics to sports equipment.

This coverage can cover your items if they’re stolen or damaged by a covered loss, such as fire or smoke. The personal coverage for your property typically is determined as a percentage of the limit of your coverage for your dwelling.

This part of a homeowners policy pays for rebuilding or repairs to your home and attached structures, such as garages and sheds, in case of a covered peril. Ideally, it should equal your home’s replacement cost.

Personal Property Coverage

Personal property coverage is one of the most important aspects of your homeowners insurance. This covers your furniture, clothing, appliances, and other belongings from loss or damage caused by covered perils like fire or theft.

How much personal property coverage you need will depend on the items you have, their value, and your budget. It’s best to take an inventory of your belongings and estimate their values.

For example, suppose you own expensive jewelry or electronics. In that case, you may need to consider purchasing an endorsement or a special personal property floater to cover your valuables under your homeowners’ policy.

Typically, personal property coverage on a standard homeowners policy is 20% to 50% of your dwelling limit. However, your policy may have specific limits, so you should check with your agent to see what you can get.

This portion of a homeowners policy covers your belongings, such as furniture, appliances, clothes, and other personal items, if they’re damaged or stolen.

It can reimburse you for their actual cash value (ACV), or if you opt for the optional replacement cost coverage, it may pay for them to be replaced at their current depreciated value.

Other Structures Coverage

The other structures portion of your homeowners’ insurance policy (also called Coverage B) covers garages, sheds, fences, and gazebos that aren’t attached to your home.

These are typically protected for a percentage of the dwelling coverage in your homeowners’ insurance policy, along with personal property and liability coverage.

Typically, the other structures amount in your policy is 10 to 20 percent of your dwelling value.

It’s a good idea to check with your insurance agent to increase the other structures limit in case you own any detached buildings on your property that are worth more than what you currently have covered under your dwelling coverage.

Covering other structures is also an important part of homeowners insurance because it protects your belongings if one of these unattached structures gets damaged or stolen.

It’s best to take inventory of all the items you keep in your shed, carport, or garage to get an idea of how much it would cost to replace them if they were stolen or destroyed.

Liability Coverage

Liability insurance is designed to shield your financial interests from lawsuits when someone is injured, or property is destroyed on your premises.It pays for medical expenses and legal defense costs if you’re sued.

Insurance policies for homeowners typically cover $100,000-$500,000 in personal liability insurance.

The focus of homeowners is often on the coverage of their home in a home insurance policy. However, equally important is the liability coverage.

Liability insurance will pay settlements and judgments against you when you’re sued for injuries or property damage caused by your family member, you, or pet. Also, it covers expenses.

For instance, if someone sues you for the bite of the dog’s bite, liability insurance will protect the cost of legal defense.

A homeowners insurance policy may be able to default to just $100,000 in liability insurance. If you face a costly lawsuit, this sum isn’t enough.

Achieving a Sufficient Loss of Protection

Suppose you cannot stay home while your house is being repaired because of an injury loss of use insurance or additional living expenses coverage.

In that case, you will pay for the additional living expenses in another. It could pay for the losses in rental income if you rent part of your home.

The standard protection for loss of use can be 20 percent of the dwelling coverage. When you consider the additional expenses associated with restaurants and hotels, this may not suffice. You could be losing more coverage for use.

Cyber insurance

Certain home insurance companies offer private cyber coverage as an addition to an existing policy. This protects you against cyber-attacks, cyberbullying, fraud, data breaches, and online-based fraud.

Home Insurance for Natural Disasters

Certain disasters require additional coverage, for example, floods or earthquakes. These are both generally excluded from insurance coverage for homes.

  • Flood insurance is offered through FEMA as well as private flood insurance companies.
  • Earthquake insurance is provided by several home insurance providers. In California, several insurers provide policies through the California Earthquake Authority.
  • In certain coastal areas like coastal Texas, homeowners are required to purchase windstorm insurance separately from the insurance they have on their homes.

Selecting the Right Contents Coverage

Your coverage for contents will pay for your possessions in your home that are lost or damaged. It covers your furnishings, decorations, clothing, electronic equipment, toys, and appliances.

Making a home inventory is an effective method to track your belongings and determine the content you require.

Replacement Value to provide better protection

While certain policies provide “actual money value” coverage, you’ll generally need “replacement cost” insurance. This will reimburse you for the expense of purchasing new items and not the depreciated value of the destroyed items.

Modifying the Content Coverage You Have

Most home insurance policies default to a certain percentage of the dwelling insurance to determine the contents coverage. The default can be as high as 50% of the dwelling insurance.

If you had $300,000 of dwelling insurance, it would provide you with $150,000 to replace things. This may not be enough when considering all the furniture, rugs, clothing, and other things you’d need to replace.

Theft Limits

Some standard policies also restrict theft coverage for certain things, including watches, jewelry as well as semi-precious and precious gemstones, and silverware.

For instance, a standard homeowner’s insurance policy usually restricts jewelry theft to $1500 of coverage. You could “schedule” expensive jewelry for full insurance coverage to accommodate this.

“Open Peril” Coverage for Belongings

Home insurance policies typically cover damages to the contents up to 16 “perils” mentioned within the policies.

The perils cover all risks you’d expect, including lightning, fire, and explosions. However, limiting the perils covered to 16 could leave you vulnerable to the possibility of a coverage gap.

Instead, purchase a comprehensive insurance policy that provides “open peril” or “all peril” protection for your possessions to ensure greater security.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here